(#GenosSteaks, #Racist, #Philadelphia, #Tourism)
After the news that Geno’s Steaks owner Joey Vento was hosting a “Pro-Arizona Immigration Law Rally” at his business, I had to speak my mind. It is in my opinion that this man is both small-minded and his actions show that he has a problem with Hispanic people (legal or not).
Who cares about this @$$hole and his lousy cheese-steak shop? Vento’s actions demonstrate that he is an uneducated loud-mouth. My advice: less talk and just serve heart attacks on a roll. I cannot understand why anyone cares about what this man has to say. How does owning a sandwich shop in Philadelphia makes you an expert on West Coast immigration laws?
He detracts from the neighborhood (where I grew up and a good portion of my family still lives in), the city of Philadelphia, and Italian-Americans (take off that awful gold chain you walking parody).
To all Philadelphia tourists: stay aways from this place. Go to Jim’s Steaks on South Street. They are much nicer and if you are a brown person they will serve you without getting a side of attitude.
I feel better.
More on Vento’s Rally: Geno’s Mexican Immigration Rally
UPDATE: After I published this article, one of my friends replied in disagreement. I am going to publish our back and forth because I think it adds to both sides of the argument and makes the article more interesting.
UPDATE 2: Vento died of a heart attack on 8/23/2011.
I disagree with your post and I support Joe Venuto and geno’s
I am amazed at how people can have no clue yet constantly express their opinions.
A clue about what:
1. That he should just shut up and serve sandwiches?
2. That he utilizes the same Mexican work force that he detests so much to clean his business, to deliver his rolls, and his 2nd rate meat. If he really believed what he was saying he would cut off any of the supply vendors that employ immigrant Hispanics – but that would cut into this “heroes” bottom line – instead he puts up a sign.
3. That he is rude to his customers in general when you attempt to pay him $7.35 for a sandwich
4. That he supports a law that profiles Hispanics in a state WHERE THE INDIGENOUS PEOPLE ARE HISPANIC?
Just because someone has “the right” to do something, doesn’t mean that they should. His job is to sell sandwiches, not piss people off.
reply to #1: he is entitled to say whatever he wishes, one of the rights he has as a legal american citizen
reply to #2: how do you know his employees are Mexican? Did you see their identification. If they are Mexican how do you know if they are illegal or not? Joey Vento does not have a problem with Mexicans per se, his issue is illegal immigrants from any place that come here illegally and do not speak english. Illegal immigrants that take advantage of every public assistance the United States has to offer straining our economy and overloading our healthcare. I could go on but this really is not the proper place for this discussion. Take a look at what your family did. They came here, learned the language, became citizens and became successful and started a new family in the United States. They did not sneak in, take from the government, send money back to their country etcl.
reply to #3: if he is rude to his customers then of course as a paying customer I would not tolerate that and I would not shop there again. Did you go there and experience his rudeness? Is this what prompted your tirade against Joey Vento labeling him a racist?
reply to #4: I support that same law. If you are not here legally I do not want you here. I do not have a problem with immigration as long as you are trying to emigrate here legally and once here become a productive citizen and not a drain on our resources. As for the comment the “INDIGENOUS” people are Hispanic Arizona is not targeting Hispanics as a general only those that are not here legally. if you are here legally what is the point of providing your documents ?
Joey Vento can do whatever he wishes as long as it does not break the law. You assume he is racist, why because he does not want illegal immigrants in this country? You assume he hires Mexicans because you see tan people working in his kitchen? how do you know they are not from el slavador, guatamala, brazil ? Let me inform you of this little fact along Mexicos southern border they have armed guards patrolling to prevent illegals and those guards are not going to book them, fingerprint them and send them on their merily way back from where they came
To label someone a racist is a serious charge especially when you do it on a public forum that could impact his business. I think you should be able to support your claim and be ready to prove your accusations when you decide to put it into print.
What is the big deal about showing ID??????? I’m a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:
1. Pulled over by the police.
2. Making purchases on my department store credit card.
3. When I show up for a doctor’s appointment.
4. When filling out a credit card or loan application.
5. When applying for or renewing a driver’s license or passport.
6. When applying for any kind of insurance.
7. When filling out college applications.
8. When donating blood.
9. When obtaining certain prescription drugs.
10. When making some debit purchases, especiall if I’m out of state.
11. When collecting a boarding pass for airline or train travel.
12. When purchasing beer, liquor or any tobacco product.
I’m sure there are more instances, but the point is that we citizens of the USA are required to prove who we are nearly every day! Why should people in this country illegally, be exempt!!!!! Why shouldn’t we guard our borders as closely as every other country in the world does?
1. Anybody can say what they want, but they have to be prepared for the backlash of what they say. Hence he has many people calling him a racist. The guy runs a TOURIST DESTINATION and he tells people to order in English: it’s ignorant and racist. He doesn’t pick on the Asians, Europeans, etc – so that shows he has a problem with Hispanics.
2. There seems to be a problem with separating people who don’t speak English with illegals. Just because you don’t speak the English doesn’t mean you snuck in to the country. I know that his roll suppliers definitely use Hispanic labor force. I have seen them drop of rolls there before. How does he treat these people? He puts up a sign that says “speak english”.
My family came here and didn’t have command of the English language. What did they do? They helped to establish a community that would support them and their lifestyle.
50 years ago Italians/Irish were treated the same way and that is my issue.
How does Joey Vento know who is legal and illegal? He doesn’t. So he assumes all spanish speaking people are illegals.
3. He is a racist and homophobic. The last time I was at that place many years ago I was in line and a tourist was in front of me and was nervous about ordering (since they are so rude). I coached the person and vento (who was working the register) called us both “homos”. I told him off and he just had someone else ring up the kid. I got out of line and went to pats.
4. If you notice in my point I said Hispanic labor force. People who speak Spanish and are here LEGALLY are getting shit on in line too. But to my other point, if vento were to find out that Amaroso or his meat distributors were to use illegals – do you think he would go to another supplier? I am willing to bet that he doesn’t. Because he freely admits to copying Pat’s – so when they change and improve, he switches to the same suppliers. Because he doesn’t have an original thought in his head. Instead he makes a name for himself by being a loud-mouth.
To your other post. If I was stopped in the street by a police officer for no reason and asked for my ID I would be pissed. This law enables police officers to do that in Arizona.
How the hell do you define “reasonable suspicion” on grounds for detainment. It’s Jim Crow style of law. People who have lived in Arizona for generations can be questioned because they are brown.
It’s not a matter of if this law will be abused, it’s a matter of how much.
I don’t think illegals should be allowed to stay in this country either, but this law is not the solution.
Thanks all for now true be-loggers. What’s your take on the Joey Vento situation? Seems like everyone has an opinion on this news item.
UPDATE: This post has become very popular on this blog and a part of me is sad that something so negative has become a feature on my site. I haven’t changed my opinion about Vento, Genos, or the political situation at large, but I wish people were reading the more positive posts as well.